Software engineers use versioning all the time, and .NET is no different. Over the last couple of years, I've been thinking a lot about versioning in different contexts, and I wish I could now say I knew how to do it easily. Instead, I can at least share my experiences, highlight some problems, and maybe look at possible improvements to come. We will look at:
- What is a version anyway?
- Where do we use versions day to day?
- What do we mean by semantic versioning?
- What are the patterns for server-side API versioning?
- What are the highlights and lowlights of .NET's support for versioning?